On his day in history April 22,
- 1970 – The first Earth Day is celebrated.
- 1972 – Vietnam War: Increased American bombing in Vietnam prompts anti-war protests in Los Angeles, New York City, and San Francisco.
- 1977 – Optical fiber is first used to carry live telephone traffic.
- 1983 – The German magazine Der Stern claims that the “Hitler Diaries” had been found in wreckage in East Germany; the diaries are subsequently revealed to be forgeries.
- 1992 – In an explosion in Guadalajara, Mexico, 206 people are killed, nearly 500 injured and 15,000 left homeless.
- 1993 – Version 1.0 of the Mosaic web browser is released.
- 1997 – Haouch Khemisti massacre in Algeria – 93 villagers killed.
- 1997 – The Japanese embassy hostage crisis ends in Lima, Peru.
- 1998 – Disney’s Animal Kingdom opens at Walt Disney World near Orlando, Florida, United States.