On this day in history March 14,
- 1972 – Italian publisher and former partisan Giangiacomo Feltrinelli is killed by an explosion near Segrate.
- 1978 – The Israeli Defense Force invades and occupies southern Lebanon, in Operation Litani.
- 1979 – In China, a Hawker Siddeley Trident crashes into a factory near Beijing, killing at least 200.
- 1980 – In Poland, a plane crashes during final approach near Warsaw, killing 87 people, including a 14-man American boxing team.
- 1984 – Gerry Adams, head of Sinn Féin, is seriously wounded in an assassination attempt in central Belfast.
- 1988 – Johnson South Reef Skirmish: Chinese forces defeat Vietnamese forces in Johnson South Reef, disputed Spratly Islands.
- 1994 – Timeline of Linux development: Linux kernel version 1.0.0 is released.
- 1995 – Space Exploration: Astronaut Norman Thagard becomes the first American astronaut to ride to space on board a Russian launch vehicle.