On this day in history March 9,
- 1976 – Forty-two people die in the 1976 Cavalese cable car disaster, the worst cable-car accident to date.
- 1977 – The Hanafi Siege: In a thirty-nine-hour standoff, armed Hanafi Muslims seize three Washington, D.C., buildings, killing two and taking 149 hostage.
- 1989 – Financially troubled Eastern Air Lines filed for bankruptcy.
- 1991 – Massive demonstrations are held against Slobodan Milošević in Belgrade.
- 1997 – Comet Hale–Bopp: Observers in China, Mongolia and eastern Siberia are treated to a rare double feature as an eclipse permits Hale-Bopp to be seen during the day.