On this day in history March 8,
- 1974 – Charles de Gaulle Airport opens in Paris, France.
- 1978 – The first radio episode of The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, by Douglas Adams, is transmitted on BBC Radio 4.
- 1979 – Philips demonstrates the Compact Disc publicly for the first time.
- 1983 – U.S. President Ronald Reagan calls the Soviet Union an “evil empire“.
- 1985 – A failed assassination attempt on Sayyed Mohammad Hussein Fadlallah in Beirut, Lebanon, kills at least 45 and injures 175 others