On this day in history February 27,
- 1971 – DoctChoose from the most used tagsors in the first Dutch abortion clinic (the Mildredhuis in Arnhem) start to perform aborti provocati.
- 1973 – The American Indian Movement occupies Wounded Knee, South Dakota.
- 1976 – The formerly Spanish territory of Western Sahara, under the auspices of the Polisario Front declares independence as the Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic.
- 1986 – The United States Senate allows its debates to be televised on a trial basis.
- 1988 – Sumgait Pogrom: The Armenian community of Sumgait in Azerbaijan was in the target of a violent pogrom.
- 1989 – Venezuela is rocked by the Caracazo riots.
- 1991 – Gulf War: U.S. President George H. W. Bush announces that “Kuwait is liberated”.
- 1995 – Zakho: A terrorist explosion in a market in the city of Zakho leaves about 100 dead and 150 wounded.