On this day in history February 26,
- 1971 – U.N. Secretary General U Thant signs United Nations proclamation of the vernal equinox as Earth Day.
- 1972 – The Buffalo Creek Flood caused by a burst dam kills 125 in West Virginia.
- 1980 – Egypt and Israel establish full diplomatic relations.
- 1987 – Iran-Contra affair: The Tower Commission rebukes President Ronald Reagan for not controlling his national security staff.
- 1991 – Gulf War: United States Army forces capture the town of Al Busayyah.
- 1992 – Nagorno-Karabakh War: Khojaly Massacre: Armenian armed forces open fire on Azeri civilians at a military post outside the town of Khojaly leaving hundreds dead.
- 1993 – World Trade Center bombing: In New York City, a truck bomb parked below the North Tower of the World Trade Center explodes, killing six and injuring over a thousand.
- 1995 – The United Kingdom‘s oldest investment banking institute, Barings Bank, collapses after securities broker Nick Leeson, loses $1.4 billion by speculating on theSingapore International Monetary Exchange using futures contracts.
- 1995 – Selena gives her last televised concert in front of over 66,746 people, for a record breaking 3rd time at the Houston Astrodome, nearly a month before she is shot to death by Yolanda Saldívar, the former president of her fan club.