On this day in history January 22,
- 1987 – Pennsylvania politician R. Budd Dwyer shoots and kills himself during a televised press conference, leading to debates on boundaries in journalism.
- 1987 – Philippine security forces open fire on a crowd of 10,000–15,000 demonstrators at Malacañan Palace, Manila, killing 13.
- 1990 – Robert Tappan Morris, Jr. is convicted of releasing the 1988 Internet Computer worm.
- 1991 – Gulf War: Three SCUDs and one Patriot missile hit Ramat Gan in Israel, injuring 96 people. Three elderly people die of heart attacks.
- 1992 – Rebel forces occupy Zaire‘s national radio station in Kinshasa and broadcast a demand for the government’s resignation