On this day in history December 25, 2000 – Over 300 people were killed and dozens were injured by fire at a Christmas party in the Chinese city of Luoyang. The incident occurred at the Dongdu Disco.
1979 – The USSR invaded Afghanistan in a bid to halt civil war and protect USSR interests.
1971 – The longest pro-football game to date finally ended when Garo Yepremian kicked a field goal in the second quarter of sudden death overtime. The Miami Dolphins defeated Kansas City, 27-24. The total game time was 82 minutes and 40 seconds.
- Pope Francis’ Christmas wish: A better world – USA TODAY (usatoday.com)
- High volume of holiday packages delays Christmas shipments for UPS – Reuters (reuters.com)
- Worshippers rejoice in Bethlehem on Christmas Day – The Hindu (thehindu.com)
- Christmas bombings kill 34 in Iraq – Times of India (timesofindia.indiatimes.com)
- Wounded Warriors, Alum Football Game (redskins.com)